Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Need2Read 4/12/11

Well how about this.  Dang.  I am ahead of schedule.  It is 2:16 AM my time, which technically makes it Tuesday, which means it's time for Need2Read.  First, the list (which is very themed this week, by the way), then rantings and ramblings.  Since I've got such an early start, I figure I have plenty of time for both. ;)

Need2Read is a weekly meme hosted by Offkey wherein you post a list of one or more books you absolutely NEED to read. Post your list on your blog and leave a comment here so that I and other readers can find it -- or just share your Need2Reads in the comments!

1. A Time to Kill by John Grisham


Grisham's first (I believe - do correct me if I'm wrong).  I remember my dad reading John Grisham when I was little.  In those days I always pronounced his name "Griss-ham", as a side note.  But onto the point, Grisham is hugely popular in my crazy lawyerly family, but I haven't read anything by him yet.  So I thought I'd start at the beginning.  (Plus - the Joel Schumacher film adaption? Fabulous.)

2. Unwind by Neal Shusterman


I've heard great things about this one, and as is the case with me and an unfortunate number of fantastic authors, this would be my first Neal Shusterman book.  Is this the best pick?  Any other Shustermans I should read first?

3. The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris


I cannot figure out why I haven't read this book already.  I've seen the movie at least three times, and every time I watch it I go, "Oh, I have to get the book!"  And yet here I am.  Bookless.  This has gone on far too long, ladies and gentlemen.  Now is the time to break the cycle.  (FYI, younger viewers/readers?  Don't watch this movie or read the book.)

4. Salem's Lot by Stephen King


I remember my sister reading this one.  We shared a room and she made us sleep with the lights on.  (I was very, very annoyed.)  But ever since, this book has had that little bit of haunting nostalgia about it.  Why did big sister need the lights on?  What words could Stephen King have put to paper that would scare her so completely?  Cue creepy music....  In all seriousness though, I love being scared out of my wits.  And I need to read this book.

5. A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick


*Friend Recommendation!*  'Nuff said.  This guy is the real deal in his genre anyway, from what I've heard - I don't know how I've been missing out on his stuff for this long.  Craziness.

So, those be my Need2Reads for this week!  Like I said earlier, they're kind of themed... all pretty dark, most of them thrillers.  I feel the need to say that, while I understand my readers are frequently young adults, I'm not limiting these Need2Read lists to the YA genre.  A lot of them are books that are important across age groups, and all of them (famous or obscure) are books that interest me.  Just be aware that they may not be your cup of tea, especially depending on your age.

Disclaimer over, I really want your help in making Need2Read a little something more than it is.  I chose the name "Need2Read" for this meme because it doesn't limit book choices to a specific genre - really, it just implies a desire to read.  So maybe, with your help, we could pump this up to something along the lines of... getting as many books in as many people's hands as we can.  I know, that's vague.  That's why I need you!

Just brainstorming for right now.  But let me know what you think.

Toodle-pip!

Cayla

3 comments:

YA Bibliophile said...

A Time to Kill and Unwind are great picks! Enjoyed them both for vey different reasons.

Zhade said...

My great aunt who lives with us is a big fan of John Grisham's books. :)

I've also heard good things about Unwind. I've been meaning to get my hands on it, but it's always checked out when I want it. XD

Chelsea Cameron said...

I've never read any Stephen King, other than ON WRITING. Which is nuts, since he's from my home state. I've posted my own Need2Read here:http://leftandwrite7.blogspot.com/2011/04/need2read-41311.html